We are really please to announce that we have released the first version of our Mac Cloud Tools.
The cloud tools encompass:
– A virtual Cloud Drive that works within Finder
– A Desktop to Cloud folder sync utility
– Cloud Files integrated into Spotlight indexing
Unlike other silo’d storage provider SMEStorage works as an abstraction layer above over 15 storage clouds and enables users to access and manage files from all the major storage vendors.
The Cloud Tools really bring the Cloud into the Mac desktop enabling users to witch storage cloud providers by simply changing directory, and editing files becomes as easy as double clicking on the file in question from within the Cloud Drive and saving when done. We’ve also integrated file actions into the Mac Finder on right click so that, amongst other things, you can easily get a URL of a file to share, or generate an email with a file link for example.
Our desktop to folder synchronisation tools makes it easy to keep files from different clouds in sync with different desktop folders. Just drop your files into the folder and the sync tool will pick up and ensure they end up on the relevant Cloud.
Lastly, we’ve integrated spotlight to work with all the Clouds mapped to a SMEStorage Account so that when Spotlight indexes the Cloud files are also searched
We’ve rolled out another update to our iPhone / iPad Cloud File Manager, iSMEStorage taking it to version 2.06.
Changes in this update include:
– Added support for Windows Azure Blob Storage
– Added ability to zip local folder structures
– Added ability to cancel uploads, downloads or zips
– Defaulted to Apple video rendering for better video file output when uploading videos to Cloud Storage
– Added ability to download file from URL locally to the iOS device as well as to a Cloud
– Added top things to know about SMEStorage help section
– Added new splash screen for iPhone 4 devices
– Fixed Twitter crash bug when sharing files via Twitter
– Fixed blue screen bug when login failed on iPad
– Fixed Cloud File Manager refresh bug after uploading a file
– Fixed display of iPhone Syncs folder icon
– Display message if Location Services are off when trying to upload photos /videos
We believe we have the most fully features file manager for local and cloud files on the App Store and we will continue to think of innovative ways to improve it, and of course add support for more storage clouds.
BinaryNights recently updated their Mac OSX File Manager, ForkLift to version 2. This is a nice replacement for Finder on the Mac and supports FTP, WebDav, Amazon S3, as well as being able to manage the Mac files directly using a two pane window. We’ve got used to using Forklift with our CloudDav offering (which adds a WebDav layer over any cloud we support) and this enables us to manage files on a variety of Clouds, including, Google Docs, RackSpace, SkyDrive, and of course all the other Clouds we support. It is priced reasonably at $29.95 and it has a 14 day trial download.
As a quick guide for use, see the below:
Now choose WebDav and fill in the details for CloudDav:
We can now see our various clouds within the SMEStorage. virtual cloud file system
Ensure you also choose ForkLift->preferences and to queue file operations:
You could receive an error such as the below during copying:
If this occurs then click “Apply to All” and choose to skip. Forklift can instantiate a number of parallel connections and the requests can be refused by our servers which is why the error message occurs. You should check after copy that all your files were uploaded. If not, simply selecte the file missing and drag it across the pane to where you want it to reside.