We very often have businesses who want to keep files in sync between two clouds. This can be as simple as having a backup copy held between two providers in the cloud for continuous availability should one provider go down, or it could be due to a particular use case in which files need to be made available on two Clouds. In any case the request is a common enough for us to highlight it in our Cloud use cases section to show how this is easily achieved using the SME Open Cloud Platform.
We will look at providing a continuous backup / sync between Google Docs and DropBox, in which Google Docs is what we will refer to as the primary cloud, and DropBox will be the backup cloud. The first thing to note is that this option that we highlight below is only available to users who have a personal business or Cloud File Server account with us, and that it is available in our normal hosted offering as well as our appliance offering.
The guide to setup the continuous backup / sync are outlined step by step below:
1. Log into the personal business or Cloud File Server account either on the web or the appliance
2. Navigate to the “My DashBoard” link
3. Choose to add a new Backup provider and choose DropBox
4. Authorise the DropBox account to be accessed
5. The DropBox OAuth screen will appear an you can sign into DropBox and choose to authorise access
6. The sync will now be kicked off an you will see the settings screen of the backup provider you just added.
7. If we now visit the dropbox account we can see a new folder called “My GMail files” has been created
8. If we look inside this folder we can see the files and folders have been copied across
After the initial sync any news files that are uploaded direct to Google Docs via SME are also backed up to DropBox. Any files uploaded direct to Google Docs are uploaded to DropBox when SME discovers them either through you accessing your account if real-time update is enabled or by forcing a refresh between the SME meta-data and Google Docs. You are also able to control whether files are deleted on the backup if they are deleted on the primary from the settings page in step 6.
Although we used Google Docs to DropBox as an example this is equally applicable to any of the 35 clouds that SME supports, including private data to public clouds or vice-versa.by
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- Getting started using the Enterprise File Fabric with BlockChain for Secure Governance and Compliance of Company Files - February 25, 2019
- Enterprise File Fabric Use Cases - January 27, 2019