ITRI (Taiwan Industrial Technology Research Institute), is a world-leading applied technology research institute which is also a key player in autonomous vehicle development.
Its technology combines real-time positioning, mapping technology, machine learning, and a range of sensors to simulate driving and capture test data in real world situations. This process generates massive amounts of data that need to be analyzed quickly and precisely, and here is where the the Storage Made Easy (SME) Enterprise File Fabric comes into play.
Image 1. Virtual Vehicle Technology – ITRI
ITRI decided to use the open source object storage platform Ceph to store the test data and the Enterprise File Fabric as the platform for data management and collaboration for their file and object storage.
How has the Enterprise File Fabric benefited users?
- Less complexity / increased productivity.
The File Fabric provides a much simpler working interface which increases productivity.
- Integration of file and object data estates and replacement of legacy time consuming workflows.
Prior to using the File Fabric, ITRI users moved test data using FTP onto Network Attached Storage (NAS) and then copied that data into Ceph. Instead, the File Fabric provides direct bi-directional access via FTP. Many users now use a direct web upload instead of FTP. It is a simpler and more reliable way to get the data into Ceph. That same web interface provides an easy alternative for users to download test data.
- Multi-cloud data management and collaboration for multiple siloed data sets.
ITRI also uses multiple cloud providers for different data. The File Fabric provided multi-cloud data management and collaboration for this multiple siloed data sets. Also, engineers use Confluence software in a wiki for collaboration, but the platform limits the amount of storage available, while the test data volumes are huge. The File Fabric has helped by allowing engineers to place links to shared documents allowing for document collaboration in Confluence.
- In-built File Recovery and File Protection.
The File Fabric system is set up to automatically track multiple versions of files.
- Data security and compliance.
For sensitive data and confidential documents with certain groups of employees and third parties, ITRI uses the DLP technology that is built into the File Fabric.
If you want to learn more, you can download the complete Case Study here: “ITRI and SME: Integrating the Enterprise File Fabric into Autonomous Driving Workflows”by
Latest posts by Mariado Martinez (see all)
- Offering European Enterprises Flexible Scaling and the Highest GDPR Data Security: Storage Made Easy joins the circle partner program of Open Telekom Cloud, the public cloud solution of Deutsche Telekom AG. - April 4, 2022
- Enterprise File Fabric for Media and Entertainment: Latest Updates - March 30, 2022