Providing remote users with access to on-premises file systems, such as Microsoft DFS or Windows CIFS / SMB shares, can be a hard task, especially as multiple security layers often exist, like firewalls and VPNs.
Some companies have opted to solve this challenge by deploying the Microsoft Forefront Unified Access Gateway (UAG) as a bridge to provide users who are remote with access to these on premise systems. The UAG was a software solution, facilitating access to file shares, intranets and corporate systems.
The Microsoft Forefront Unified Access Gateway is now officially deprecated.
If you’re looking for an alternative to the Microsoft Forefront Unified Access Gateway, or have a requirement to share on-premises SMB or DFS shares then the Enterprise File Fabric could be the solution for you.
One of the many benefits of the Enterprise File Fabric is that it can provide convenient and secure access to on-premises file systems. It works well inside of the corporate network, as well as on the periphery, acting as a single pane of glass to your on-premises or on-cloud storage systems.
The File Fabric supports over 60 different storage connectors, including Microsoft Distributed File System (DFS), CIFS, SMB, SAN, NAS, as well as many other block and object storage vendors.
Here’s some of the reasons why the Enterprise File Fabric, is a great replacement for the UAG:
- Access to on-premise file systems like DFS, CIFS, SMB, SAN, NAS
- Enables a proprietary Scale-Out NAS solution
- Integration with existing Active Directory, LDAP, or SAML identity access (IAM) management systems
- Enterprise-grade file encryption wherever you need it (FIPS certified)
- Honours existing file system level permissions
- Provides remote Web, Desktop and Mobile based access
- Collaboration features built to boost external productivity access
- Secure file sharing with internal and external people/companies
- Scalable to support hundreds of thousands of users
- Comfortably deployed in public or private cloud infrastructure
- Ongoing support and maintenance services
Most importantly, the Enterprise File Fabric is trusted by organisations of differing scales, from small businesses, large enterprise organisations, ISPs and government organisations.