Windows RT Surface is a great tablet but the non-pro edition is pretty locked down and getting access to files from the integrated Apps can be an issue. Enter SME Personal Cloud.
Amongst other desktop tools the SME Personal Cloud comes with what we refer to as CloudDav and provides WebDav access to any of the Cloud Storage Accounts that you have mapped to your Account.
Enabling WebDav on the Windows Surface Tablet can be done simply with a batch file in the following format:
NET USE * \\webdav.storagemadeeasy.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot
(or NET USE * \\webdaveu.storagemadeeasy.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot for the SME EU Server)
Once this is done you have a fully functional cloud drive on your Surface Tablet to get to all your public / private cloud files !
We’ve updated our Windows Cloud Tools which are available to purchase by free users or as part of the Personal Lifetime and Team Cloud File Server Plans. The tools integrate the Cloud directly in the desktop via the means of a Cloud Drive with a drive letter that you can control, and also come with sophisticated sync tooling and a Cloud Management DashBoard
These are now available to all existing users of the Cloud Tools that are under support by logging into their DashBoard and navigating to Cloud Add In’s.
– Fixed a Sync Centre ordering bug that could occur on scheduled sync
– Added speed (byte rate) limits.
– Sync Center – fixed windows system function GetLastWriteTimeUtc bug that cause an issue with some timestamps.
– saves endpoint when credentials are not saved.
– Added new endpoint MyCompany.FileServerApp.com/api, to be easier for appliance users to manage their private Clouds.
– Sync Center: Now runs in background when launched by schedulers. Shows a log at the end, if there were sync errors, or if “Don’t close” was checked when scheduled.
– Retries failed HTTP requests (3 times, at 3 seconds interval).
– Skip folders that failed to create.
– Logs more info on failed folders.
– Virtual Drive performance improvement
– WIndows 64 bit IFS Virtual Drive Driver update :resolves issue for some 64 bit machines
– other Minor fixes.
We’ve updated our Mac Cloud Tools to version 1.14. The Mac Cloud Tools work with your SMEStorage Account to enable you to manage the Storage Clouds mapped to your account directly from the Mac desktop either using:
– A network ‘Cloud’ Drive. We integrate with the OpenSource MacFuse to bring the Cloud into your Desktop
– Sync Folder. The Cloud Drive provides a view onto your Cloud data but if you want to keep data in sync from your desktop to (multiple) Clouds then use the Sync folders.
– Spotlight integration. We’ve integrated your Cloud Data with Spotlight so that when you search you also are returned search results that include your Cloud Data.
More information on the Cloud Tools can be found here and the Wiki pages for the Cloud Tools can be found here.
If you are an existing registered user of the Mac Tools log into the site and download the new version for the “My Cloud Tools” link on the right sidebar.
We are really please to announce that we have released the first version of our Mac Cloud Tools.
The cloud tools encompass:
– A virtual Cloud Drive that works within Finder
– A Desktop to Cloud folder sync utility
– Cloud Files integrated into Spotlight indexing
Unlike other silo’d storage provider SMEStorage works as an abstraction layer above over 15 storage clouds and enables users to access and manage files from all the major storage vendors.
The Cloud Tools really bring the Cloud into the Mac desktop enabling users to witch storage cloud providers by simply changing directory, and editing files becomes as easy as double clicking on the file in question from within the Cloud Drive and saving when done. We’ve also integrated file actions into the Mac Finder on right click so that, amongst other things, you can easily get a URL of a file to share, or generate an email with a file link for example.
Our desktop to folder synchronisation tools makes it easy to keep files from different clouds in sync with different desktop folders. Just drop your files into the folder and the sync tool will pick up and ensure they end up on the relevant Cloud.
Lastly, we’ve integrated spotlight to work with all the Clouds mapped to a SMEStorage Account so that when Spotlight indexes the Cloud files are also searched