The Enterprise File Fabric can be used for many functional use cases. One of these use cases which we will discuss in this blog post is that of a secure encrypted data room.by
Hi! My name is Karol and I’m SME’s Linux Systems Engineer.
Today I would like to talk a bit about one of my personal favourite features of the SME solution – Encryption.by
Many file sharing vendors offer at encryption at rest but the the real question is do they let you manage your own encryption key?
Ask yourself these questions?
– Are you comfortable not controlling your own file encryption?
– Do you have sensitive data you wish to store in the cloud that you do not want to have your file sharing vendor have access to?
– Do you have data that absolutely must have controlled encryption from a legislative view point?
– Do ypu trust your vendor not to provide a ‘back door’ to the NSA?
Storage Made Easy:
– Offers private key encryption in which the private key is not stored on its hosted platform for all users (including free users).
– Let’s you encrypt data stored on any remote cloud including Box, DropBox, Amazon S3 etc
– is a UK company that has servers located in the US and in Europe in which no data is shared between the two
– Can provide a completely on-premise solution for Cloud Control and unified joined up file sharing that encompasses all public and private corporate data.
SME puts encryption of your files in your hands not your vendors !by
We have for quite a while enabled public/private key AES 256 bit file encryption for files in which the private key is not stored on our servers. Many providers now support their own encryption and what we offer is over and above that (and in many cases our encryption is used as an additional security as it is truly private whereas in most cases the vendor stores the public and private key).
We believe it makes sense for us to support vendor Cloud encryption mechanisms were they add value and are possible. To this end we now support the Amazon S3 Cloud encryption and we’ve made it pretty easy to turn the encryption on, straight from the settings of the S3 provider (accessible from the Web DashBoard):
Once you are in the settings page of the S3 provider you simply turn it on:by
Being able to share data publicly via a website is very attractive for lots of different reasons, especially when you want to give the widest possible reach to your data, from an internet search perspective.
However, there are times that you wish the data to be visible, but also be able to control who has access to it. We had a good example of this recently from an educational establishment who uses SMEStorage with their own FTP Server to make available course content publicly to remote learning students. They wanted the course data and titles of files to be available and entered into search engines to attract future students, but they also wanted to be able to control access to the data so that only students who were enrolled on the course could download the content.
One of the features of the SMEStorage cloud Gateway is that it enables you to work with your cloud data but overlays certain features and functions that you may not get from your provider. One of these is encryption. If you upload your data to your storage cloud via SMEStorage then you can choose to add an encryption key which then encrypts the data with an AES encryption cipher (key) that you choose and which only you know. This is the key private key you then need to share with anyone who wants access to the files.
Lets look at the steps of this in practice:
1. Upload your data to your cloud via SMEStorage and choose to encrypt it. The key is not stored on the platform and is known only by you.
2. When the file is stored you will notice that in the Web File Manager it has a key next to it that notifies you it is encrypted.
3. If you now set this file to be public in the File Manager then it is stored in your public files page which is of the format http://www.storagemadeeasy.com/username/files.
4. If a user then clicks on the file that you made public but which you also encrypted then they will be asked to enter the encryption key before they can download the file.
This works above all file storage clouds that SMEStorage supports, such as Google Docs, SkyDrive, DropBox, Amazon S3 etc. It is a great way to be able to limit access to files but still make them available.by
The SMEStorage multi-cloud gateway now supports DropBox. We’ve had quite a lot of users asking us to provider support for DropBox as provider in our Cloud Gateway and we are pleased to be able to add this.
As with all our cloud storage providers, once they are added to the cloud gateway it means that you will be able to gain access to your DropBox files over the web from our site. We add some extra features over and above what DropBox offers which include integrations with Zoho so you can edit office documents inline, integration with Google Viewer and Sribd so you can view PDF’s and other files inline, integrations with image editors etc.
The DropbBox files will also be available through all our desktop OS (Mac, Windows, Linux) and mobile client tools (iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry). If you have a Lifetime Cloud account then you will be able to aggregate DropBox into a Cloud File view that can include up to 10 other clouds including Google Docs.
You will also be able to take advantage of some of the features we add on top of all the cloud providers we support, including managed encryption and CloudDav (a WebDav layer that can be added above DropBox).by
From today, using your own Amazon S3 keys is not free ! Previously the only way to use Amazon S3 with SMEStorage was to sign up for the Individual Lifetime Cloud package which gives you access to up to 10 storage clouds in one virtual view, and also our comprehensive windows tools.
Amazon S3 includes support for buckets from all regions and also supports visual RRS and RRS conversion as well as managed file encryption, and the integration with services such as Zoho and Picnik for in-browser document and image editing. We also provide a free Windows Cloud Dashboard to work with your files. Unlike other Amazon S3 tools our aim is to present a business overlay on top of Amazon S3 rather than a complete tech view that other tools and providers support.